Friday, October 12, 2018

Made for Shalom: A Heart at War














This week, while you meet with your Faith Formation Group you may want to reflect on our Scripture passage by reading Psalm 34:14 and Luke 18:9-14 (printed below) and discuss the questions from the Scripture and Sermon as a way to begin a conversation. 

Psalm 34:14
Turn away from evil and do good. Search for peace, and work to maintain it.

Luke 18:9-14
Then Jesus told this story to some who had great confidence in their own righteousness and scorned everyone else: 10 “Two men went to the Temple to pray. One was a Pharisee, and the other was a despised tax collector. 11 The Pharisee stood by himself and prayed this prayera: ‘I thank you, God, that I am not like other people—cheaters, sinners, adulterers. I’m certainly not like that tax collector! 12 I fast twice a week, and I give you a tenth of my income.’

13 “But the tax collector stood at a distance and dared not even lift his eyes to heaven as he prayed. Instead, he beat his chest in sorrow, saying, ‘O God, be merciful to me, for I am a sinner.’ 14 I tell you, this sinner, not the Pharisee, returned home justified before God. For those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.”

Questions for Consideration:
  1. When have you found yourself stuck in a box?
  2. Which box(es) do you struggle with most?
  3. How does the parable of the Pharisee and the Tax Collector (scripture above) teach about getting out of the box and begin to live with a heart of peace? 


As you meet this week, we encourage you to also take time to open yourselves up as a group and dialog on the following Wesley Challenge question: Am I Proud? (Pages 57-62 in The Wesley Challenge)

No comments:

Post a Comment