Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Journey to Joy: Week Four

Peace



This week, while you meet with your Faith Formation Group you may want to reflect on our Scripture passage by reading John 14:27-28 & Romans 9:30-33 (printed below) and discuss the questions from the Scripture and Sermon as a way to begin a conversation. 

“I am leaving you with a gift—peace of mind and heart. And the peace I give is a gift the world cannot give. So don’t be troubled or afraid.
Remember what I told you: I am going away, but I will come back to you again. If you really loved me, you would be happy that I am going to the Father, who is greater than I am. (John 14:27-28)

What does all this mean? Even though the Gentiles were not trying to follow God’s standards, they were made right with God. And it was by faith that this took place. But the people of Israel, who tried so hard to get right with God by keeping the law, never succeeded. Why not? Because they were trying to get right with God by keeping the law instead of by trusting in him. They stumbled over the great rock in their path. God warned them of this in the Scriptures when he said,

“I am placing a stone in Jerusalem that makes people stumble, a rock that makes them fall. But anyone who trusts in him will never be disgraced.” (Romans 9:30-33)



Questions for Consideration:
  1. You may ask why we would have scripture from the ends of Jesus’ ministry to bring in the last days of Christmas but this time of Advent is a time to both remember as well as to look ahead. What do you think Christ means when he is telling his followers that he has a gift for them?
  2. What is the “peace of heart and mind” that comes through Christ life and then through the gift of the Holy Spirit?
  3. Why do these two passages also give speak to the fact that we need the incarnation to have peace?


As you meet this week, we encourage you to also take time to open yourselves up as a group and dialog on the following question: What have been the highlights of my past year and how do I see God challenging me to grow in 2019?



No comments:

Post a Comment