Thursday, May 9, 2019

Listening to the Voice of the Shepherd


This week, while you meet with your Faith Formation Group you may want to reflect on our Scripture passage by reading Psalm 23 and John 10:22-30 (printed below) and discuss the questions from the Scripture and Sermon as a way to begin a conversation. 

Psalm 23

Psa. 23:1    The LORD is my shepherd;
I have all that I need.
2  He lets me rest in green meadows;
he leads me beside peaceful streams.
3  He renews my strength.
He guides me along right paths,
bringing honor to his name.
4  Even when I walk
through the darkest valley,
I will not be afraid,
for you are close beside me.
Your rod and your staff
protect and comfort me.
5  You prepare a feast for me
in the presence of my enemies.
You honor me by anointing my head with oil.
My cup overflows with blessings.
6  Surely your goodness and unfailing love will pursue me
all the days of my life,
and I will live in the house of the LORD
forever.

John 10:22-30

John 10:22    It was now winter, and Jesus was in Jerusalem at the time of Hanukkah, the Festival of Dedication. 23 He was in the Temple, walking through the section known as Solomon’s Colonnade. 24 The people surrounded him and asked, “How long are you going to keep us in suspense? If you are the Messiah, tell us plainly.”

John 10:25    Jesus replied, “I have already told you, and you don’t believe me. The proof is the work I do in my Father’s name. 26 But you don’t believe me because you are not my sheep. 27 My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. 28 I give them eternal life, and they will never perish. No one can snatch them away from me, 29 for my Father has given them to me, and he is more powerful than anyone else. No one can snatch them from the Father’s hand. 30 The Father and I are one.”

Questions for Consideration:

Both Psalm 23 and John 10 give us the image of Jesus as a shepherd and us as sheep. There is also the idea that sheep know the voice of their shepherd and thus follow their shepherd. In Psalm 23 there are several promises for those who know and follow the voice of the shepherd. 
  1. Spend time to write down all that is promised for those who follow the Shepherd in Psalm 23. What does it mean to not have want?
  2. What does Jesus promise his “sheep” in John 10:28-29?
  3. Does everyone get the benefit of these promises? 
  4. What does it take to make Jesus the shepherd of your life today? 

As you meet this week, we encourage you to also take time to open yourselves up as a group and dialog on the following Wesley Challenge question: Is Jesus real to me?  (Pages 19-22 in The Wesley Challenge)

No comments:

Post a Comment