Tuesday, October 8, 2019

Serve: Week One

When I was a kid, my mom always gave my brother and me chores around the house so that we could “contribute” to the family! At the time, I did not see how doing the dishes helped me “contribute.” Today, I am able to look back and realize that my mom’s call for us to serve was very important to giving us a sense of value within our family and allowed us to mature in our faith. Over the next four weeks we are going to be talking about the spiritual principle of service and we are going to find ways to plug in both within the community as well as outside of the community to be active in our participation of community living and so that we can reflect the love of Christ for the world around us.

Please take time to watch our short video, read the scripture passages and reflect on the questions below. 


Scripture:

“For even the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve others and to give his life as a ransom for many.”
Mark 10:45

“But among you it will be different. Whoever wants to be a leader among you must be your servant, and whoever wants to be first among you must become your slave. For even the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve others and to give his life as a ransom for many.”
Matthew 20:26–28

“The greatest among you must be a servant.”
Matthew 23:11

Reflection Questions:
  1. What does Jesus’ call to serve others look like today, in the 21st century?
  2. How can we live out service to others today?
  3. What would be some of the benefits to serving others?

No comments:

Post a Comment