Thursday, April 30, 2020

Building a Firm Foundation for the Future: Developing a Clear Vision

We live in uncertain times. The COVID pandemic has shown that in a moment’s notice everything in the whole world can change. But God gives us the tools necessary to navigate change, both at a corporate level as well as individuals. During the next four weeks we are entering into a stewardship campaign and we are going to use the book of Nehemiah to gain the skills necessary to build a firm foundation for moving into uncharted times.



Scripture Reading:

Nehemiah 1:1-3; 2:11-15
1:1 These are the memoirs of Nehemiah son of Hacaliah. In late autumn, in the month of Kislev, in the twentieth year of King Artaxerxes’ reign, I was at the fortress of Susa. 2 Hanani, one of my brothers, came to visit me with some other men who had just arrived from Judah. I asked them about the Jews who had returned there from captivity and about how things were going in Jerusalem.

They said to me, “Things are not going well for those who returned to the province of Judah. They are in great trouble and disgrace. The wall of Jerusalem has been torn down, and the gates have been destroyed by fire.”

2:11 So I arrived in Jerusalem. Three days later, 12 I slipped out during the night, taking only a few others with me. I had not told anyone about the plans God had put in my heart for Jerusalem. We took no pack animals with us except the donkey I was riding. 13 After dark I went out through the Valley Gate, past the Jackal’s Well, and over to the Dung Gate to inspect the broken walls and burned gates. 14 Then I went to the Fountain Gate and to the King’s Pool, but my donkey couldn’t get through the rubble. 15 So, though it was still dark, I went up the Kidron Valley instead, inspecting the wall before I turned back and entered again at the Valley Gate.

Reflection Questions:
  1. If this story happened in your world today, what would it look like?
  2. In re-telling this story, what might the Spirit be suggesting is important?
  3. How does Nehemiah’s response to what he is learning teach us about how to live today?

1 comment:

  1. Pastor Jim, Listening to your words with the birds flying around in the background in your beautiful yard was especially delightful. Please sit in that chair when you can. Stay safe and we will see you again tomorrow. Blessings, Sandi Madsen

    ReplyDelete