Monday, April 20, 2020

Peace and Joy

Who needs some peace and joy? I do! I’ll take it! I’ll buy it! I want it! I need it! And I’m sure I’m not the only one in the same place at the moment. After a month of staying at home, practicing social distance and communicating only by phone, zoom, and email, I miss everyone. I miss gathering for church, I miss joining friends for lunch, and I miss family and friends. As bad as I perceive my situation to be, I am cognizant that others are struggling deeper than I am. Some cannot pay their bills and have little food for their families. Many have lost jobs and others have lost loved ones. What does Jesus have to offer today to those of us who are weathering the storm behind closed doors? The disciples had just gone through a very traumatic experience. Their hopes and dreams had come to a crashing end. They still did not understand what had happened. How could Judas betray Jesus? Betray them all? What would happen next? To this group of frightened disciples Jesus comes offering peace. The disciples are filled with joy when they experience their beloved friend right there in their midst. What am I missing today that I am not experiencing the risen Christ right in the midst of my circumstances? Why am I not filled with joy upon the realization that Jesus is here and really, that is all I need? I invite you to be in prayer for this weekend as we worship this same Jesus and as we talk about these very difficult questions that many are facing today. See you this weekend!
Loida Divine

Scripture Reading: John 20:19-22
That Sunday evening the disciples were meeting behind locked doors because they were afraid of the Jewish leaders. Suddenly, Jesus was standing there among them! “Peace be with you,” he said. As he spoke, he showed them the wounds in his hands and his side. They were filled with joy when they saw the Lord! Again he said, “Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, so I am sending you.” Then he breathed on them and said, “Receive the Holy Spirit.



Reflection Questions:
After reading the scripture, here are some questions for you to think about:

  1. Recall a time that you felt frightened and then suddenly something or someone gave you clarity and peace in your path.
  2. What specific emotions do you think the disciples were experiencing prior to Jesus coming into that room?
  3. Do you know someone that might be experiencing fear today? Write their name on a piece of paper and say a prayer for them to experience God’s presence today.

No comments:

Post a Comment