Monday, January 4, 2016

Be Like Mary!

Originally Published January 1

Daily Reading: Genesis 1; Luke 1

Mary responded, “I am the Lord’s servant. May everything you have said about me come true.” Luke 1:38

In 1992 Gatorade launched a series of commercials called “Be Like Mike” that became huge. They literally started a craze of people declaring that they wanted to be like Mike. Who wouldn't want to be “like Mike?” He seemed to have everything the world desires; fame, ability and riches! I don't know if I ever declared that I wanted to “Be Like Mike” but I know that as a young man I wanted a couple of the things that made Michael Jordan desirable: fame and riches! Somewhere along the way I came to realize that those earthly things cost too much––my soul. 

Today I want to be like Mary. Mary is a great example for me of disciplined Christian living. When confronted with the angel Gabriel and his pronouncement that she would carry and give birth to the Son of God, Mary naturally asked questions and rightfully wrestled with the decree. But once understood Mary realigned herself to God’s mission, entered into obedience and started down a new path.  

At the heart of Christian living is the idea of daily re-alignment. It is neither forced nor blind realignment, but a chosen decision in the life of a disciple to follow Christ. Jesus says, “All who love me will do what I say (John 14:23).” There seems to be two things implied here. First, that we know what Jesus says and second that we then realign ourselves to follow what he says. I have probably met hundreds of people over my lifetime who claim to love Jesus, but as I got to know them I discovered that their “love” was superficial. They never applied themselves to knowing Jesus, through studying Scripture and through prayer, nor did they obey the commands they heard from Christ along the way. Their love was just a shallow declaration similar to saying something like I love Fridays. 

As I begin this first day of a new year I want to pledge to “Be Like Mary.” I want to spend time daily wrestling with the Word, and once understood I want to submit myself to the Word, daily re-aligning myself to being more centered on loving Christ and loving the world around me.


Lord, grow me into becoming a man who passionately seeks after your heart. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment