Friday, January 8, 2016

From Darkness to Light


Daily Reading: Genesis 21:1-7; 22; Luke 8 

“No one lights a lamp and then covers it with a bowl or hides it under a bed. A lamp is placed on a stand, where its light can be seen by all who enter the house. For all that is secret will eventually be brought into the open, and everything that is concealed will be brought to light and made known to all.” (Luke 8:16-17)

I have to share two light stories with you. The first one happened about ten years ago at an fundraiser dinner we were attending. During the course of the evening there were several drawings and amazingly I won a 1,000,000 candlepower car spotlight. Now I have to admit that I never saw myself as needing a one-million candlepower spotlight, but that evening as we were driving home I pulled out the light, plugged it into the cigarette lighter and turned it on. O my, is it bright!! You could, and still can, blind someone a half a block away with this thing. Over the years I have taken my spotlight out on some of the darkest nights imaginable to look for something and have continually been amazed at how this light can break through darkness and reveal what was hidden in the night.

The other light story happened the first time that I was part of a Tenebrae service. If you are not familiar with a Tenebrae service it is service of shadows where candles are slowly extinguished as the congregation proceeds through the passion story. It is a very dark and somber service. My friend, Brian, who had invited me to his church for this service took it very seriously and so he and a team had spent the entire day darkening the church so that no light could enter. When the last candle was extinguished we sat in the total darkness––so dark that I could not see my hand inches in front of my face. As the service had intended I sat there and contemplated a world without Christ, and my thoughts and my soul were as dark as the air around me. After what seemed like an eternity (in reality only seconds had passed) a chilling voice sang, “Were You There when they crucified my Lord? Were you there?”

As I sat contemplating the song and the image of a world without Christ a  sudden light beamed out of the darkness. In what seemed to be as bright as a new sunrise over the Kansas plains and instantly I felt the assurance of a risen Christ. What was amazing was that the light, which seemed to brighten the room as intensely as my one-million candlepower spotlight was just a small candle. 

I can picture the people of the first century listening to Jesus as they are sitting in room that has just been turned from darkness to light as someone lights a candle. I can also hear the words of John as he says, “The Word gave life to everything that was created, and his life brought light to everyone. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness can never extinguish it.” (John 1:4-5) The darkness will never extinguish it! What a powerful statement. We can rest assured that the darkness will never have victory over the light. 

Often times I want to keep some issue or problem that is going on in my life hidden in the darkness of my soul. Yet, continually Christ reminds me that it will come into the light eventually, so why wait. Why let Satan torment me over some issue that will never stay hidden? Why not open up to Christ, open up to trusted friends, so that the light can overwhelm the darkness and so that I can be set free?  


Lord, help us to let the light in. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment