Monday, January 4, 2016

Daily Proof

Originally published January 3, 2016

Daily Reading: Genesis 6, 7:17-24; Luke 3

“Prove by the way you live that you have repented of your sins and turned to God. Don’t just say to each other, ‘We’re safe, for we are descendants of Abraham.’ That means nothing, for I tell you, God can create children of Abraham from these very stones.” Luke 3:8


I use to read this passage taken from the riverside ministry of John the Baptist and saw a legalistic zealot consumed with the old system of the law. There seemed to be no grace in John’s message. Over time I have come to appreciate John’s call. In this one passage John speaks of two truths that need to be heard, even when we are living under grace!

John first speaks to daily proof. He is not saying here that we are called to live perfect daily lives (that is law), but he is saying our daily action will reveal the true nature of our hearts. When we begin to understand the word repent for what it really is––re-alignment towards God––this daily proof becomes something that is very observable within the life of the disciple. Am I realigning myself towards loving God today, so that I am being centered more and more on loving God and loving others? To put it bluntly I can ask myself the questions of discipline; Am I reading the Word? Am I spending time with God in prayer? Am I giving of my self and my resources to help others? I am exhibiting a growing of the gifts of the Spirit? Do I have more grace towards others, even those who attack me?  Simple questions that get to the heart of where I am. 

There is another thing going on within the passage that I find quite common among church folks. Those of us who are resting on the walk of our parents (or our spouses, or even our children) to declare our faith. John let the people know 2,000 years ago a truth that is just as real today and that is that each of us is called to work out our own faith. We are not called to be solo christians or be separate from community, but we are responsible for our own faith. I can not rest on the work of my spouse or parents. Nor can I rest on some event that happened to me thirty years ago. 
Discipleship is a daily process of surrender and growth. The path of the disciple takes action and the sign of the faithful disciple is one who is growing in centering their lives on loving God and loving others.


Lord, help me seek you daily that my light may shine of your love for all to see. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment