Thursday, January 30, 2020

FAITHFUL



I have always loved a Groucho Marx quote I heard when I was a college student, “I refuse to join any organization that would have me as a member.” There’s something to what Groucho said. Most of us probably realize that we don’t have “the right stuff” to be part of any organization that would have us, yet it is us messed up, imperfect, struggling people  who are called to be part of the church. 

No matter who we are, what we look like, what we’ve done, or even how messed up our lives, Jesus calls us to join his Body, typically through joining a local church. Even though all are accepted, there is expectation for us once we’ve joined. When we welcome new members into the United Methodist Church we give five expectations: prayer, service, gifts, presence, and witness. We are not called to do these five things perfectly, but we are invited to be Faithful. 

This Sunday, as we celebrate our sixth birthday and as we welcome in new members we will also begin a new sermon series on living faithfully as members of Christ’s church. I can’t wait to be with you on Sunday as we celebrate faithful family living.



No comments:

Post a Comment