Thursday, January 9, 2020

Vision 2020, Part Two

It’s hard to believe we are already almost two weeks into the new year! I am constantly reminded of my favorite Ferris Bueller quote, “Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.” My goal for these first two Sundays of 2020 is to stop and look around, so that we can get a clear vision of how to move ahead into this new decade. This Sunday we will be completing my “life verses” and learn how we can live out our vocational call to be disciples and make disciples in a way that is doable for the average person and can also be fun in the journey.  

As you prepare for this weekend I invite you to watch the video, read the two scripture passages and then spend a few minutes of reflection working through the questions below.  I look forward to seeing you this Sunday!  





Scripture Reading:

The Servant Attitude:
You must have the same attitude that Christ Jesus had. 
Though he was God, he did not think of equality with God as something to cling to. Instead, he gave up his divine privileges; he took the humble position of a slave and was born as a human being. When he appeared in human form, he humbled himself in obedience to God and died a criminal’s death on a cross. 
Philippians 2:5–8

The Great Divide
 “But when the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit upon his glorious throne. All the nations will be gathered in his presence, and he will separate the people as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. He will place the sheep at his right hand and the goats at his left.

“Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the Kingdom prepared for you from the creation of the world. For I was hungry, and you fed me. I was thirsty, and you gave me a drink. I was a stranger, and you invited me into your home. I was naked, and you gave me clothing. I was sick, and you cared for me. I was in prison, and you visited me.’

“Then these righteous ones will reply, ‘Lord, when did we ever see you hungry and feed you? Or thirsty and give you something to drink? Or a stranger and show you hospitality? Or naked and give you clothing? When did we ever see you sick or in prison and visit you?’

“And the King will say, ‘I tell you the truth, when you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were doing it to me!’
Matthew 25:31–40

Reflection Questions:

  1. After reading the Philippians 2 passage above, what do you think it looks like to have the same attitude of Christ in the 21st century?
  2. How could you begin to live out that attitude today?
  3. What are some opportunities you see around you today to feed, give something to drink, show hospitality, give clothing or visit someone in need? 

No comments:

Post a Comment